woensdag 2 januari 2013

Beginners guide–Double exposure

I have just recently been working on double exposures myself, but the pictures I saw on the internet of double exposures made me so exited about it. I’m still figuring out how to make the best double exposures, but I thought to share it anyway. So here is a double exposure that made me want to make double exposures myself. I ‘m still a beginner myself so I ‘m not capable of doing something like this yet.
Analog Double Exposure Photographs by Florian Imgrund multiple exposures black and white
This picture was made by Florian Imgrund.

Isn’t this awesome?! I love how the dark parts of the picture are filled with another picture. And its actually quite simple. The only thing I was struggling with was not winding the film at all. Let me show you what I made with my Olympus trip  35 and how I did it. Again, I am still experimenting with different cameras and films, so they’re not good at all.

So this one came out best. I didn’t plan on having a half frame double exposure. But I was quite surprised about the outcome. I didn’t expect the other picture would come exactly on one half of the cola bottle.
adf61e3e1c4601cd105626fc3cf7613fecaf3f6e
This one was a little less. It’s a triple exposure which caused the picture to be way over exposured. If you look closely you can see two bubbles over each other. I used an 400 ISO film, If I had used an 100 ISO film it would have been better.

How do you make a double exposure?
To get the best double exposures like the picture from Florian Imgrund, you should do the following:
You think of the picture you want to make. Then the best is to first take a picture with the darker object. The next picture that you take will be in that dark object, so make sure there is enough light around that object. That way you will only have your dark object filled and not other parts of your picture.
So when you have the first picture, you want to take another picture on the same part of the film you just exposed. So you don’t want to wind your film. To do so, you have to hold your rewind button. That way, you can ‘wind’ your film without actually winding your film. So push it, hold it until you are done winding. Then take another picture!
The most cameras have their rewind button on the bottom of the body.

Some have a rewind button on the front:
rewind
If you cant find it anywhere, you can comment me on this post. Tell me what camera you have, I’ll find it.
There is one other way to make awesome double exposures. A filmswap. I will do a complete post on that later. I’m currently working on a filmswap with Maria Nichol.
You take pictures with a camera in –for example- a city you like. Then you take out your film and send the film to someone else. Then that person puts the same film in their camera, and take pictures over that pictures. That way, you get –for example- London and Amsterdam in the same picture!
That was it for today! Have fun shooting your double exposures and show me the results if you can!!

Geen opmerkingen: