woensdag 5 december 2012

The chair - part 2 - Eat more canned Food!

I had read all of your comments on my other chair post. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, because I got some pretty good ideas from you guys! For example, Anna Sandoiu showed me a beautiful designed chair. I really got inspired by the frame, which was inspired by Patrick Collingwood (the designer) his favorite boat! That made me think about what I want the chair to look like. So I started sketching and writing down ideas.

bli

 

 

I was thinking, frame, frame, what if… I wanted to focus on the frame. So then I got a great Idea! what if, I could design a frame, that is cheap to produce. Which will make the buyer recycle?! So they’d buy an unfinished chair, that can be made personal by finishing it with recycled products. For example, cans! Every household uses canned food. soup, tomatoes, beans, you name it. So what if you started collecting them and putting them in your chair?

blu

Cause what you guys didn’t know, is that I asked my teacher if she new any place where I can get a lot of recyclable products. She happened to have connections with a can factory! The factory agreed to give me 300 cans. The cans were probably the manufacturing defect ones!! So now I can make a prototype! SO EXCITED!

 

In the next few weeks I will be working on the design of the chair. I was already having some ideas, but just got a totally new design idea just now… next time I’ll try to have the designs I thought of all in one post, then you guys tell me which one was the best!

 

blo                          bluoe

 

Also, I’ll be going to the FabLab in Amsterdam! Most of you guys don’t know what it is so let me explain:

The FabLab is a lab in Amsterdam. They actually have a lot of machines you can use as –for example- a designer. You can make a reservation to go work there, there are no costs for using the equipment, only the material you want to use will cost you money! So everyone is able to use the machines there. They have a wide range of electronics and manufacturing equipment as well as hand tools, design space, and materials on stock. You won’t believe what you can use over there! SO AWESOME! you have:

The laser cutter, the milling machine, the vinyl cutter, the embroidery machine an a 3D printer!

There are a lot of FabLabs all over the world, so go look if there is one close to your home!

So I will update you guys next time, If you have seen a cool designed chair, or found an awesome recycle designer I have to take a look at, PLEASE comment! I really appreciate it!

 

.

Geen opmerkingen: