zaterdag 1 december 2012

The chair – part 1

As some of you know, I’m a student at the A. Roland Holst College. You can compare it to high school. Only in Holland, the high school is separated in different  levels. You have MAVO, HAVO, VWO and gymnasium. I’m currently in my last year of the HAVO, which is the average level in Holland. Since its my last year, I have to do a really important school project that takes a lot of time. I was thinking, I could blog about the progress of the whole project, and I could use some help.
So lets begin…
The whole project is about recycling and how to make recycling fun. Recycling has become popular worldwide. Though, I have been asking students at school about recycling, and I was surprised what faces the students gave me when I asked them what they think about recycling. The most of them tell me they know that recycling is good for the earth and all and you should separate your garbage… but they don’t do it because “its stupid and takes to much time”. Then I showed pictures of famous recycled design products, they’d say its awesome. Most of the people didn’t even think about design when they thought about recycling. So it CAN be cool. The problem is, the recycled designer products are really expensive AND don’t encourage you to go recycle YOURSELF. Its only makes you feel good, cause “you bought something recycled” For example, look at the amazing designs from Piet Hein Eek. He makes beautiful furniture made of scrap wood.
piet20hein20eek1
I really love this work, and I would love to have furniture like this in my future home. Now lets look at the amount of money you see on this picture. One chair will cost you:
Without lacquer: € 1.917,00
with lacquer: € 2.105,00
That is a freekin’ lot of money for just ONE chair! A normal household is not able to pay that for their furniture!
So that made me think. Is it possible to make something that:
    1. Makes you want to recycle yourself (makes it fun).
    2. you want to place in your home.
    3. Won’t cost you an absurd amount of money.
So that point of view is the base of my school project. I’m going to do a research on recycling. About what recycling is, how to make it popular, for how long have people been recycling and much more! The final product is a great research on recycling AND … I’m actually going to make a chair, which has to measure up to the points above.
And the most awesome thing of all, the chair is going to be exhibited in Hilversum February 8th. After the exhibition, to actually make point three come true …. I’M GOING TO SELL THE CHAIR FOR A GOOD PRICE! So keep following my posts on this and PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK! What so you think of the whole idea? I’d really appreciate feedback, ideas, websites, everything! If you read this and think about an article that you have read about – for example – the history of recycling, PLEASE comment it, or mail it to me! I would love to make a chair together with you guys!
Mail: dutch-story@hotmail.com    Subject: The chair.
Have a nice day and thanks for reading!
Ps.
I’m doing this project together with Josephine, she is amazing with clothing. She makes her own clothes sometimes… WOAH so awesome! I love her winter coat! you should look at it! I’m going to ask her if I can show a few pictures of it on my blog.. so maybe next blog you will see it!

Geen opmerkingen: